What Makes Technical Writers Successful?
Success comes to technical writers in many ways. Each of them requires focus, writing expertise, and work.
For some writers, writing is difficult, so the road to success is hard work. For others, writing is fun, so the work is easy, almost like play.
There are as many paths to success in the technical writing field as there are writers. Here are 6 of the most common.
1. Choose a field to specialize in, for example, hardware, software, semiconductors, scientific analysis, and more.
2. Work as a generalist in several fields where technical writers are needed.
3. Select a particular type of documentation to write: user guides, internal documentation, academic research, white papers, to name a few.
4. Teach. You can leverage your expertise in a particular technical field to teach others about it.
5. Consult only with startups.
6. Consult only with a particular type of company: local, national, or international corporations.
I’ll expand upon each of these technical writing fields in future posts. Until then, remember that whether you consider writing hard work or play, the road you travel on your journey to success is your choice.
Sometimes it’s crowded. Sometimes it’s the road less traveled. Dip your pen into the Inkwell and tell us in the comments below about the road you’ve chosen to travel on your journey to success.